Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Costume Comission: THX 1138!







I built a THX1138 costume for a friend's boyfriend in four days.  THX1138 is an oldie and a goodie. My dad who went to college for cinematography showed us a lot of Kubrick flicks when we kids were younger (not too young, mind you) so it was familiar territory for me.


I sourced fabric for the piece that wasn't just cheap poly-cotton because I wanted it to look good.  This was my first big costume commission out of school and it was going to a convention (NorwestCon!) where it would be looked at and scrutinized.  I first thought that maybe I would need to double up some cotton to achieve a good opacity, since most cottons are rather translucent against the human skin.  I found Diaper Cloth at Pacific Fabrics and was intrigued by it.  It was opaque enough, thin, and had a great texture.  The gent at the cutting counter pointed out that it was not a standard width, (being about 36" rather than 45" or 60") and asked what I was making.  I said a THX1138 costume and he smiled.  "Have you seen the waffle fabric?" he asked.  I shook my head "no" and followed him through the aisles over to the yarn section (?!?!?) where they tucked away fat bolts of waffle weave fabric.  It was fantastic.  Wide, opaque, and interesting texture.


While the original film was a plain woven fabric, I wanted this interpretation to be as authentic as possible, but with something to make it more interesting than simply being white fabric. My client okayed it and off I went at scratch; altering the pattern to suit my needs, cutting out white fabric and trying not to get graphite and other markings all over it, getting it all together, and then did a fitting, final tweaks, and it was done!

Watching "The Wrath of Khan" gets the serging done!  I also don't have a copy of THX or I would have watched that.



Had to redraft the neckline and created facings for it.

Pin! Pin! Pin!

Top done!  Then the trousers and we were in business!


Mr. Rex modeling the final project and looking quite spiffy, indeed!  He had made the badge and even an ear tag to wonderful authenticity. 


No comments:

Post a Comment